John Payne Cabin, built 1861
Scroll down to see all photos
winter photo taken 2010
The cabin was bought, moved, and reassembled by the Payne family, members of the Pvt. David W. Payne Camp #1633, Sons of Confederate Veterans, and others.
Before the War Between the States, John Payne married Louisa Frady. The cabin was built in 1860-61 in the Young Cane District by John and his brothers for John’s new family. The cabin was built before he went off to war. John and Louisa eventually had seven children. This likely was a “starter home”, but the aftermath of the war prevented any future home building.
John enlisted in the Confederate Smith’s Legion, Calvary Battalion. This unit later became part of 6th Georgia Volunteer Calvary Regiment, Co. B. He served as a blacksmith. John was sent home to Union County on sick furlough in 1864. He was surrendered with the Georgia Militia at Kingston in 1865. His original Parole still exists. One of his brothers and two of his wife’s brothers died fighting for the Confederacy.
He helped found Pleasant Hill Church. He supervised roads in Union County. At his funeral, John was honored by the Captain T. J. Butt Camp, United Confederate Veterans. He is buried at Pleasant Hill church next to his brother David and their wives.
The original floor was puncheons (half logs). The replacement logs for the cabin are from land once belonging to John Payne. The fireplace rocks were moved and rebuilt in their original locations. The loft was originally floored to the chimney, but was left partially open in order to view the interior of the roof. The back and side doors led to a small kitchen and side The back and side doors led to a small kitchen and side bedroom which were added much later. which were added much later. The windows were also enlarged at that time.
The back porch was not present on the original structure but was added by the Historical Society to protect the outside of the logs.